Membership benefit: sector leading publications
CICES publishes several relevant and unique industry publications throughout the year, all of which are available to members in both printed and digital format.
Each one is a comprehensive 'must-read' for professionals working in industries including commercial management, civil engineering, surveying, construction law, dispute resolution and more.
Civil Engineering Surveyor (CES)
Better known as 'the journal' among many readers and contributors, CES is a regular, substantial periodical for people in the geospatial and commercial sectors.
It is published at a frequency of ten issues per year (monthly, with double issues during Summer and Christmas) and keeps CICES members and associated industries up-to-date with developments and challenges in the profession.
Topics covered include:
- Global construction industry thought leadership, policy, direction and major projects
- Interviews and opinion pieces
- Contracts, construction law, dispute avoidance and resolution
- Commercial management, estimating, procurement, quantity surveying, cost engineering, audit and project controls
- Digital twins, BIM, digital transformation, information management, visualisation and 3D modelling
- Unmanned aerial systems (drones), satellite imagery, photogrammetry, laser scanning and remote sensing
- Geospatial engineering and land surveying
- Utilities and subsurface mapping
- Mapping, cartography and GIS
- Marine, offshore and inland hydrographic surveying
- Technology, software and equipment
- Education, training and professional development
- Best practice and health & safety
CES editor-in-chief Darrell Smart explains the importance of the publication, saying:
'The journal has become part of the decision making process for 12,000 professionals every month.
'Our readers are involved in all aspects of the construction process, from tendering and planning through to completion and delivery.
'Many are company directors, partners and senior managers working for contractors and public corporations within the construction industry, so CES helps influence and educate the profession and related industries.'
Digital copies of CES can be viewed via the CICES online portal, as can editions of the institution's two other main annual publications.
Geospatial EngineerGeospatial Engineer is a yearly edition with a specific focus on the geospatial side of the surveying industry, recently covering in detail subjects such as:
- Geo-data and AI
- Digital smart cities
- Drone mapping
- Machine learning
- Risk prevention
- PAS 128
With contributions from respected organisations including KOREC Group, Autodesk, Hexagon Leica Geosystems, Topcon, Ordnance Survey, Bournemouth University and the Geospatial Commission.
Construction Law Review
Another annual publication, Construction Law Review is, as its name suggests, a roundup of legal issues that affect the sector and those working in it, investigating topics like:
- Dispute resolution and arbitration
- Formal litigation
- Risk management
- NEC3 and NEC4 contracts
- Liquidated and ascertained damages
- Latent defects
Many pieces are penned by expert contributors from leading legal practices, major contractors and the Society of Construction Law.